Monday, March 30, 2009

Bad news about Kinetics

From Stuart Saare, 30/03/09:

"I have bad news regarding Kinetics. I spent the weekend cleaning the disgusting filthy state of the Kinetic equipment thanks to 08 f-tards, and once everything was cleaned and sorted I was able to get a better look at the parts I had collected. The biggest issue is the valve housings - because 08 and 07 used either 06's or 06 spares, we are short of housings. I found two in the lab during our scrimmaging but it turns out one of them is useless, the other could have dodgy dimensions which I will need to measure once I get some new calipers. Best case is we need one new housing but I suspect we need two, which could take a couple weeks. Those 08 [team members] really messed [things] up.

The internals from 06's rears are incomplete - have found some of the parts but some internals will need to be made, and probably the existing ones calibrated because the matching pairs are now mixed together.

Also the damper gland nut tool is MIA, so I couldn't open the dampers up to clean them - will need a new tool made. In the process of cleaning everything I found some chopped/worn seals that will need replacing.

It is possible that I could bleed from the front to the end of the steel lines, and put that in the car before the engine goes in, then leave some plugged lines until new housings and internals are made and assembled. However, I don't have time to bleed that part of the system until next weekend, and Kinetics being the fiddly thing it is, I'd budget the whole of next weekend to get it done. The steel lines have to go in before the engine does, I think - but maybe they could be fitted around the engine, and then complete the rear valve unit connection with the engine in place and just cop whatever fluid gets spewed about.

I don't know how we are going timeframe-wise for continuing to work out of Codexa. I'd say it'll take 3 weeks to get Kinetic sorted, assuming all sorts of things. So I guess the options are to delay engine-in, or go ahead with changing the Kinetic system plumbing to an 07/08-style system. I avoided changing the plumbing because it could cost over $200 for some new hoses and fittings, and the original stuff works perfectly if you aren't planning on regularly opening the system. If we go ahead with changing the plumbing, the car can be completely reassembled without Kinetics, then after the 3 weeks I expect it to take to get the system ready, it should just bolt straight on.

IMO, the plan is thus: proceed with engine in ASAP. Once engine is in, I will test if I can shoehorn the steel lines around the engine (can the engine go in without the plenum, then install plenum once engine is in chassis?). If so, existing hardware is kept, system can be half-bled off car, installed, then do the final connection and bleed on car. If the steel lines can't fit around the engine, then fork out for new plumbing, complete the system externally, and attach once done in a few weeks.

Anyone have suggestions or feel strongly either way?"

No comments:

Post a Comment